Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Antics or Altruism?



The current season of American Idol featured the show's first blind* contestant, a Scottsdale native named Scott MacIntyre. Other contestants and at times, a cane, were used to guide the singer to and around the stage.

Voted off a few weeks back, Scott was recently given a surprise from judge Paula Abdul - a seeing eye dog. This seemed odd to me given that Scott apparently never expressed that he even liked dogs, let alone wanted one. I figured this was another silly antic from the consistently-spaced-out Abdul.

However, upon looking into the issue, I found out that Paula may be smarter and have better intentions than the public generally affords her. She is pairing up with pet stores and companies to promote National Guide Dog Month, with the goal of increasing awareness and raising funds for guide dog organizations across the country.

It turns out that training a dog takes about two years and costs around $40,000. Though dogs are offered for free, lists are long and wait times are often measured in years. And simply avoiding the list and purchasing a dog costs upwards of $20,000; making this an option only for the financially sound.

So, Paula may have offered the dog with the intentions of making headlines to raise awareness more so than giving Scott something he desired. Even if Scott doesn't want the dog, which will be officially given to him after the Idol tour, the act served a greater purpose and did indeed turn heads and hopefully open wallets.

Straight Up, Paula will be Forever My Girl cause she's Crazy Cool and regardless of intent, is working towards the Promise of a New Day in our Cold Hearted world where most people are just Blowing Kisses in the Wind.**

To donate or volunteer, check out Guide Dogs of America or find an organization in your area.

*Scott is technically "visually impaired" but in my book a 2% field of vision = blind.

**I'm totally awesome and simultaneously not awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know... I still don't trust Paula. Is she still swilling from that mysterious coke cup? But if I had any proclivity for training dogs, I would volunteer to be a guide dog trainer. I used to think it would be the worst thing to have to give the dogs up, but now I think you have to "give" dogs anyway, but at least when you send the pup to a blind person they still live.

    ReplyDelete