Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dogs Just Want to Have Fun

When I picked up Scout this weekend from Big Scout's house across the street, she was ecstatic to see me. She jumped into my arms and gave me loads of smelly kisses. She sprinted back to our apartment and ran in like a lunatic. She sniffed all around and checked all the rooms (not a big feat given the size of my apartment). After that she went back to giving me smelly kisses. My popularity soared for about an hour or so.

Shortly after that hour, Scout went out on the balcony, stared across the street and whined. She proceeded to the door and did the same thing. I figured she had a tummy ache and was telling me she was about to poop her non-existent doggy pants. I put her leash on, opened the door and she started pulling. Thinking she really had to go, I ran down the stairs and to the sidewalk along with her. But when we got to the sidewalk she didn't stop to find a patch of grass to go on. She continued pulling and led me (Caesar would not approve of her being the pack leader)across the street. It was clear that she was headed for Big Scout's house. I was no longer entertaining. She wanted her friend back.

At first I was slightly insulted; how could she trade me in for another buddy so readily. But upon much deep pondering, I realized I'm like her mom, not her cool older sister. Of course she'd want to play with someone her age who shares her interests (poop,squirrels and poop). As a kid, I did the same thing after sleepovers. I'd be super psyched to return home. I'd open all the cabinets to make sure my favorite snacks and toys were still there; I'd lay on my bed and stare up at the ceiling I'd seen so many times before and take a deep sigh of relief. But, after the five minutes that took, I'd realize my house was completely boring and that I wanted to go back to my friends. One summer I even made my parents pick me up at sleepaway camp, only to ask them to bring me back the next day.

So, Scout's inclination was natural. I guess I just need to accept that I'm officially a boring adult whose interests have changed from the poop and squirrels of my younger years.

2 comments:

  1. So true. So true. That's why I have Sofie stay with my parents because I know deep down, though I hate HATE to admit it, she's rather play with an overweight Husky than boring ol' me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should stop shaving and showering and become more interested in feces.

    ReplyDelete