Friday, April 10, 2009

Passover Seder for Dogs



In Chicago some Jews decided that it wasn't fair to leave their four-legged loved ones out of the Passover Seder. So, they created a seder just for dogs, featuring a telling of the story of Exodus, including the typical rituals and featuring Kosher dog food. When Laberdoodle Goober Goldstein found the Aficomen and was rewarded with gefilte fish he exclaimed, "I'm so ver clempt I could plotz!"

At first, I chalked this up to crazy Jews just being crazy Jews. However, when I looked into dogs' involvement in other religions I found out that many churches--mainly in New York, but it is spreading--are now allowing dogs at mass.

In a culture where dogs are not only part of the family but part of the zeitgeist, this makes complete sense. At my local supermarket here in Santa Monica, I've seen dogs sitting in the shopping cart seat generally reserved for children. At a pet store we frequent they offer doggie facials. I have friends that cook Filet Mignon for their dog while they eat microwave dinners.

But is religion crossing the line? I am a Jew culturally more so than religiously--meaning I identify more with the traditions than with the actual belief system. Because of this, dogs at seders is cool with me; my dog is part of my life and part of my life is my culture. But, I'd imagine if it was the other way around I'd find dogs participating in holy rituals or at places of worship completely unacceptable. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Is it weird that I refer to my dog as my first born? That I call him my human baby's "brother"? Or that I need to specify "human" to differentiate my genetic offspring from my pup? Okay, kinda. But I just really love my dog and if that's wrong? Well, you know.

    ReplyDelete