Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Seriously? Dog Poop DNA?

Image from Webshots


If you ever take a walk in Los Angeles - something most Angelinos don't do - it's impossible not to notice several "pick up after your dog" signs. In addition to the standard city-issued signs, residents often put handwritten warnings on trees as well. Despite this, excrement inevitably ends up on sidewalks and lawns across the city. And apparently across the world.

This past fall, Petah Tikvah, a suburb of Tel Aviv, took things into their own hands by starting a program that uses DNA technology to match dog poop to dog owner. Those who do not clean up will be fined; those who do and deposit the doodie in specially marked bins will be rewarded with dog food coupons and toys.

OK, not a bad idea, but how in the heck are they going to get the DNA in the first place? As it turns out, they don't really have a plan - they expect people to voluntarily bring their dog to the vet for a DNA swab which the owner can then send to a city lab. That's like asking known criminals to go to the police station and leave some hair, fingerprints and semen. It all seems a bit whimsical. And passing a law that you must give the city your dog's DNA feels too Gattaca and like something that would only happen in China.

Nevertheless, it appears that a small Bavarian town, has indeed decided to make the doggie DNA sample mandatory. The best part: they are going to employ someone to "collect errant canine ordure and match it with the databank – or put out an alert for a stray that must be stopped." Maybe if the Canine Concierge gig doesn't pan out I'll just head to Germany. Geben Sie mir Bratwurst!

2 comments:

  1. I feel bad for the people who have to dig through the trash and get the poop out of the bin and check it to see who gets the coupons! That's what they do, right? To find out who should be rewarded?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings,
    I have a problem with a bad neighbor who has been sending their dog every day to poop in my yard. And i am tired of picking up their dog's poop. I went several times and told her to pick up the poop she used bad language to me and told the dog to bite me. I am tired of calling the police on this woman and picking up the poop. I work very hard to keep my yard looking good. Please help me and I need some advice what to do to stop this harsement. My e-mail stardustmemories1@msn.com

    Thanks, Sincerely

    Dilly

    ReplyDelete